Procurement Specialist / Supervisor (Remote Friendly)
Berkeley Labs Procurement Team is Growing!
We are looking for experienced and talented members to join our dynamic team!
This position will involve supervisory duties that require the candidate to oversee staff as well as perform work as an individual contributor. The position involves supervising a team of individuals that manage acquisition of goods and services.
Berkeley Labs mission is to bring science solutions to the world! Our procurement teams support the science in the following areas: acquisition of goods, services, construction, research and development.
40-50 % Team Supervisor
- Exercises supervisory responsibilities by assigning and reviewing work of direct reports.
- Provide day-to-day supervision for a sub-team of subcontract administrators on the team.
- Reviews work of direct reports at various acquisition stages to ensure work assignments of direct reports are carried out in compliance with Laboratorys standard procurement practices.
- Participate actively in strategic, quality, process improvement and reengineering efforts.
- Provide backup support to the Subcontracting Manager as needed.
- Approve award recommendations in applicable cases and ensure that the resulting subcontract is proper as to form and content (when the situation dictates, secure any special approvals and receive concurrence of the requester).
- Review and approve transactions exceeding direct reports subcontract administrators signature authority and those in lesser amounts when monitoring representative sample of modification and subcontracts to ensure that all contract obligations have been fulfilled and requirements met.
- Review and Approve actions that require Manager or Supervisor approval.
- Demonstrate an operational understanding of labor/employee relations issues and communicate information to subordinates on working conditions, career opportunities, and compensation.
- Understand and implement the Laboratorys affirmative action as well as safety policies and practices.
- In collaboration with the Subcontracting Manager, develop, motivate, and train staff to ensure their expectations are met.
- Monitor performance, address and resolve performance issues in a timely manner.
- Report on such matters such as volume and quality of work performed by the sub-team and individuals in it, noting any unusual situations to the Subcontracting Manager.
- Clearly communicate formal employee performance management expectations.
- Reviews and approves or disapproves leave requests.
- Conduct and participate in annual employee performance review, development evaluation and reports.
- Participate in candidate interviews and evaluations.
50-60% Principal Subcontract Administrator
- Execute the purchasing and supply chain management strategies commensurate with the needs of our internal customers and stakeholders.
- Adhere to Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) purchasing requirements.
- Plan acquisition needs in advance to implement the best sourcing strategy.
- Develop and lead purchasing strategies.
- Enable supplier integration and Key Performance Indicators.
- Perform price or cost analysis to support purchasing justification of qualified sources.
- Issue solicitations of various types from low price to best value request for proposals.
- Negotiate pricing, negotiate terms, recommend award, and prepare the necessary documentation in support of purchasing decisions.
- Consult Legal Counsel for exceptions to standard terms and conditions.
- Drive value and lead cost savings outcomes.
- Draft RFPs for various goods and services.
- Complete end-to-end acquisition process.
- Support large projects and/or major projects as needed as a Procurement Partner or a Procurement Point of Contact.
What Is Required
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business, Economics, or a related field and 10-15 years of relevant experience as a sourcing or procurement professional or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Building and maintaining successful relationships with customers and suppliers.
- Ability to administer a wide variety of contract types and develop supporting contract documents.
- Experience with monitoring progress on accomplished work.
- Experience building and maintaining successful relationships with customers and suppliers.
- Demonstrated ability to independently develop subcontract documents.
- Delivers acquisitions of goods/services in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Proficiency with Oracle PeopleSoft or electronic purchasing systems, Google applications, Microsoft Suite, and Adobe.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multiple task, maintain a high level of accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to professionally and effectively interact with all level of personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Organizational, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
What We Desire
- A graduate level degree is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with applicable LBNL Procurement Standard Practices, Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and DOE Acquisition Regulations (DEAR).
- Experience with Service Contract Act and/or Davis Act requirements or equivalent state and/or local labor requirements.
- Strong working knowledge of the administration of a wide variety of contract types.
- Certification (CPM, CFCM, CCCM, CPCM).
The posting shall remain open until the position(s) is filled.
- This is a full-time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), career appointment.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon assuming this position, annually while holding this position, and when leaving this position.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- This position will be remote initially due to COVID-19, but limited to individuals residing in the United States tentatively. The on-site work location will be at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) - Bldg. 971, 6401 Hollis St., Emeryville, CA or may be performed remotely with a flexible work arrangement (depending on business needs).
Learn About Us
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the worlds most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Labs scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes.
The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energys Office of Science.
The vision of the Office of the Chief Financial Office (OCFO) is to enable scientific discovery by providing leadership, excellent services, and responsive solutions to its Laboratory partners. The OCFO seeks applicants with initiative and focus who thrive in a challenging and dynamic environment and who want to positively impact the Labs scientific mission.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Labs mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.