International Payroll Manager
Five9 provides businesses reliable, scalable, and secure cloud contact center software designed to create exceptional customer experiences, increase agent productivity, and deliver tangible business results.
We are driven by a passion to transform contact centers into customer engagement centers of excellence. Since 2001, Five9 has led the cloud revolution in contact centers, helping organizations transition from legacy premise-based solutions to the cloud.
To complement our rapid growth, we are actively looking for a International Payroll Manager with strong experience in international payroll to lead and transform the payroll function as Five9 continues to grow.
The ideal candidate is highly seasoned, motivated individual with proficiency in UltiPro/UKG software as well as processing payroll in Canada, UK, Germany, Portugal and other international regions. The candidate must be able to demonstrate ability to work in a challenging, fast paced, dynamic and rapidly changing environment. To really stand out and support our future growth, the successful candidate will lead international payroll transformation efforts, including automation and building for scale. The successful candidate will have experience identifying issues and proposing effective solutions. The successful candidate will lead and deliver several projects while ensuring payroll deadlines are consistently met. Strong work ethic, organizational and communication skills and high accountability are a must.
This role will manage daily operations of the international payroll function, working with external payroll providers ensuring all payments made to our employees are accurate, timely and in accordance with the respective-country tax regulations, support internal and external audits and other misc. reports/analyses pertaining to payroll and benefits. In addition, this role will be responsible for cross-collaborative efforts to improve and enhance current payroll processes, prepare and develop a variety of reports for external and internal resources, ensure accurate tax filings, oversee payroll accounting as well as ensure the policies and procedures for the payroll department are documented and in compliance with SOX. This is a key position which will report to the Director of Global Payroll.
Location: This position is located at Five9 headquarters in San Ramon, CA. This position is not eligible for remote work. This role will work a minimum of 3 days per week onsite in San Ramon, and additional days for work related meetings, events or as needed to support the business.
- Manage the processing and disbursement of International payrolls, including stock related payroll reporting, benefits, taxes, pension/retirement benefits, incentives/bonuses, as well as any other related compensation adjustments, while ensuring compliance with local country regulations
- Coordinate with the payroll provider(s) regarding any required filings, payments, nuances, and/or updates of payroll tax matters for the North America, EMEA, and APAC regions inclusive of proper documentation of these changes
- Lead international payroll transformation efforts, including automation and building for scale
- Manage and coordinate payroll registrations for new jurisdictions, maintain login details, and de-activation steps as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate and country-specific policies and procedures
- Manage and monitor all payroll related communication from domestic and international sources
- Establish a process for monthly and transactional control reviews to ensure payroll processes are compliant with established department internal controls and SOX
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and terminations are completed accurately, timely and in compliance with regulations
- Provide payroll information timely as requested from HR, Tax, Stock, Accounting, FP&A or external regulatory agencies.
- Address and resolve all payroll tax notice timely
- Manage/assist with timely recording of payroll journal entries, account reconciliations and reporting
- Manage/respond to employee inquiries regarding payroll matters timely and accurately
- Manage, mentor and coach team members and peers as needed
- Work closely with the Benefits Administrator to support the Open Enrollment Process annually
- Lead, recommend and participate in projects to continually review and improve current processes and internal controls
- Manage and audit yearly administration of payroll in preparation of the following calendar year
- Monitor employee PTO usage and include such data in each payroll cycle
- Assist with external audits by providing supporting records and documentation
- Provide formal and ad-hoc analysis of payroll, benefits, headcount, and Stock activity
- Build and nurture strong working relationships with all levels of the organization. Work closely with 3rd party providers, HR, Finance, Accounting, and others to resolve issues and drive end-to-end process improvements
- Maintain communication with payroll service providers regarding software updates and new products available to be able to initiate the use of new features
- Advise the business on subject matter pertinent to payroll processing and employment tax reporting/withholding requirements.
- Perform other functions and/or special projects as directed by management and/or HR
- Must work in San Ramon, CA offices 3 days a week and additional days as required
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in Accounting, Finance, or equivalent
- 7+ years of international payroll administration experience in a public company is highly preferred
- Proficiency in UltiPro (Ultimate Software) is strongly preferred
- Experience with processing all types of stock transactions, and an understanding of the tax implications of each type (i.e. NQSO, ISO, RSU, ESPP)
- CPP designation strongly encouraged
- Deep understanding of US, Canada (by province), UK, Germany and Portugal payroll and related tax laws, regulations, and statutes
- Strong knowledge of internal controls, SOX documentation and control testing experience a plus
- Experience with integrating payrolls acquired through M&A.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel with advanced analytical skill running pivot tables, reports, and formulas
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Efficient, organized, and able to manage high volume work
- Ability to "roll-up sleeves" and apply an analytical mindset to resolve complex problems.
- Strong relationship management and communication skills
- Approachable, customer service focused, collaborative team member, can do attitude
- Inclusive and collaborative – driving teamwork and cross-team alignment, internal and external
- Passion for goal-oriented, high paced team environment. Committed to team and partner success with a positive, service orientation
- Ability to communicate successes and candidly express when help is needed
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Confidence and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions. Please let us know if you require an accommodation to complete any part of the application or interview process in the Candidate Comments section of the application.
Learn more about our Employee Benefits offerings and other perks here.
Five9 embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better we are. Five9 is an equal opportunity employer.
California residents, view our Privacy Notice here: https://www.five9.com/legal/candidatenoticeca.
Our headquarters are located in the San Francisco Bay Area with global hubs in the United Kingdom, Germany, Philippines, Portugal, and Australia.