Assistant Director for Operations (Project Management Leader)
ENVIRONMENTAL RESILIENCE INSTI (UA-ERI-IUBLA)
The mission of the Environmental Resilience Institute is to increase resilience to environmental change in Indiana and the Midwest by accurately predicting impacts and effectively partnering with communities to implement feasible, equitable, and research-informed solutions. While the threat of environmental change is one which has concerning implications for all forms of life on this planet, we recognize that environmental justice is especially linked to systemic racism. Therefore, we are committed to fighting for environmental justice and against systemic racism in all our work. ERI is deliberately cultivating staff and culture rich in diversity of thought, background, race, gender, ability, and lived experiences. We encourage all interested parties to apply.
The Assistant Director for Operations works as a member of the executive leadership team, under the direction of the Managing Director to manage the day-to-day activities of the Environmental Resilience Institute (ERI).
- Oversees and directs institute operational objectives by coordinating and communicating with staff and directors
- Takes a leadership role in long-range strategic planning, and analysis and synthesis for the Institute.
- Supports the managing and executive directors in administering and implementing the Institute’s long- and short-range plans and goals.
- Serves as a finance manager for accounts within the ERI portfolio. Provides budget analysis and reports in coordination with the assigned unit fiscal officer.
- Coordinates with fiscal officers in academic units.
- Supports PIs on grants routed through ERI.
- Manages grants supporting ERI initiatives.
- Assists leadership with identifying and formulating needed operational policies.
- Leads planning for and coordinates execution of Institute events and programming.
- Responsible for space management needs of the Institute and its employees.
- In coordination with the executive committee, facilitates responses to requests for information from university administrators.
- Responsible for fulfilling university reporting requirements.
- Directly supervises ERI staff responsible for administrative support in their daily activities.
- Provides oversight and leadership to ERI staff responsible for communications and outreach, data management and dissemination, and implementation.
- Serves as liaison with other administrative units to ensure timely execution of Institute responsibilities and consistent application of university and Institute policies and practices.
- Provides day-to-day operational management of project management staff.
- Establishes short-term operational objectives.
- Manages projects to ensure on-time completion according to specifications and within budgeted costs.
- Identifies operational issues and/or areas of improvement and implements solutions to improve processes and//or operational efficiency; provides oversight for continuous integration, testing, quality assurance and quality control efforts.
- Analyzes, monitors, and evaluates performance of assigned staff; establishes work priorities, conducts performance reviews, and provides corrective action as needed.
- Ensures adequate staffing and effective scheduling; participates and informs employment decisions for assigned staff.
- Provides direct supervision and oversight of assigned staff and activities; impacts, and is held accountable for, the performance of team/or assigned staff.
- Ensures and provides training to assigned staff to improve project management operations; researches and identifies development opportunities for assigned staff.
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Master's degree
- 2 years of related experience
- 5 years of experience in project management and/or administration, including defining and adhering to project budgets and timelines
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Demonstrates project management skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Instills commitment to organizational goals
- Ability to work within tight time frames and meet strict deadlines
- Experience with IU policies, procedures and systems
- Strong analytical and planning skills with the ability to independently manage multiple projects with competing demands to determine priorities
- Ability to gain an overall understanding of the Institute’s research, mission, and goals as well as the relevance of the work to the University’s goals
- Ability to work well with a wide range of individuals and skill to handle difficult people with tact and diplomacy.
Working Conditions / Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
This position is eligible for remote work or to work in the office, subject to change in the future based on university policy and business needs.
Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.
Career Level: Operational
Job Function: General Administration
Job Family: Project Management
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at [email protected] or by visiting IUPD.
Similar environmental service worker jobs in bloomington in
- environmental service worker jobs jobs near me
- assistant jobs near me
- Environmental Services Aide at Garden Villa Bloomington
- Full Time Seasonal Restoration Technician at Eco Logic
- Custodian at Indiana University Bloomington
- EVS Aide at Lutheran Life Communities
- Environmental Services Team Lead at Indiana University Health
- Assistant Director for Operations (Project Management Leader) at Indiana University
- Custodian Floater, Environmental Operations at Indiana University