Staff GPU Engineer [Remote Friendly]
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We're building the world's most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
About the role:
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack is a sophisticated workload that includes compute and data intensive functions within perception, prediction, planning and control. This role is within the ML Accelerators (MLA) team which is responsible for maintaining and optimizing the software stack for real-time, on-road performance. This means efficient workload mapping onto a sophisticated, resource-constrained hardware, co-architecting the HW platform with HW engineers and building platforms and tools for AI deployment and performance profiling, diagnosis and optimizations that can be employed by AV engineers (from perception, prediction, planning and controls). MLA engineers work in close collaboration with AV engineers throughout the lifecycle of crafting new AV features which is essential to the success of our mission.
As a Staff Software Engineer (in Cruise's Machine Learning Accelerator's (MLA) Kernels and Libraries team), you will be responsible for creating the strategic vision and leading the design and development of high-performance, reliable accelerator solutions for Cruise's next generation custom silicon. Your solutions will be used to implement the core AV functions across ML and non-ML workloads spanning multiple GPU architectures. As Cruise expands our vehicle offerings on our path to productization, your libraries will not only enable Cruise's low cost custom silicon critical to our long term business needs, but also provide the needed performance portability to ensure our successful scaling.
What you'll be doing:
Define long term strategy and build a strategic roadmap to enable Cruise to migrate accelerator libraries and kernels to OpenCL.
Architect, design and develop GPU libraries and kernels that are optimized across multiple GPU architectures (custom accelerator inside AV and GPGPUs in cloud).
Collaborate closely with our compiler and runtime teams to ensure clean interfaces are designed.
Own the performance of accelerator kernels and libraries (both on and off vehicle).
Work with cross-functional teams (compiler, performance tooling, runtime, ML framework and application development ) to ensure that reusable, reliable high-performance libraries are delivered.
Review code submissions, provide guidance on design and implementation, break down tasks for junior developers, track execution and efficiently report status.
Create and implement technology standards, methodologies, processes, and guidelines
Manage relationships with external vendors and internal customers.
Coach and mentor team members on engineering excellence projects.
What you must have:
Excellent GPU programming skills in CUDA or OpenCL with a thorough understanding of parallel programming patterns and GPU architecture preferably across multiple vendors.
Strong background in software architecture, library design and design patterns.
Strong C++ programming skills with the ability to feel comfortable in large codebases.
Hands-on experience benchmarking, profiling, debugging and optimizing accelerator libraries and kernels to extract optimal performance.
Solid background in system performance, high performance computing and architecture-aware optimizations.
Strong communication, influence, and negotiation skills and the ability to work collaboratively within a team
Exceptional leadership skills and ability to set direction and work through ambiguities
Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
Minimum 5+ years of relevant industry experience or equivalent experience
MS or PhD in CS, or related technical field or equivalent experience
Experience with other GPU programming models like SYCL
Experience with DSP architectures
Experience with AI and ML frameworks and inference software stack
Experience with designing software applications for safety critical systems
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it's primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We're Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We're Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We're Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We're Vested
- You won't just own your work here, you'll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected]
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we're tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Similar engineering assistant jobs in san francisco ca
- engineering assistant jobs jobs near me
- engineer jobs near me
- Third Assistant Engineer at Savage Services
- Engineering Assistant at Philo
- Project Engineer/Assistant Project Manager at Hoseley Corporation
- Senior Manager - Chemical Engineering at Charm Industrial
- Assistant Director of Engineering at Marriott International, Inc
- Software Engineer Controls and Simulation at Astranis
- Field/Office Engineer - Northern California District at Kiewit